Understanding the Benefits of Stevia
San Antonio TX. Daily exercise is important to help you managing your weight, but an equally important fact is reducing caloric intake. Sweets are generally high-calorie and a people’s favorite. Among the many strategies to consider to achieve this calorie intake reduction without depriving ourselves of sweet, is a substitution with a non-caloric sweetener like SVETIA®. The main ingredient in SVETIA® is stevia extract, a natural-origin sweetener extracted from the leaves of the plant species Stevia rebaudiana, a green-leafy plant native to South America. Stevia has been used as calorie-free sweetener and flavoring ingredient around the globe for centuries.
According to the Global Stevia Institute (GSI) only high purity stevia extracts (which contain 95% or greater steviol glycoside, the stevia components responsible for its sweetness) are approved by regulatory agencies for use in foods and beverages.
Understanding the benefits of stevia will help you incorporate it into your everyday foods and beverages. According to GSI, these are the highlights:
• Stevia is a plant extract, not an artificial sweetener. Stevia is a natural origin sweetener.
• Stevia is a zero-calorie sweetener – it adds a delicious sweet taste without adding calories because the steviol glycosides in stevia pass through the body without effect.
• Stevia is a naturally sourced sweetener – there are no changes to the sweet compounds after extraction and purification meaning the steviol glycosides found in the leaf is what ends up in the final stevia ingredient.
• Stevia is a sustainable crop – Stevia farming, extraction and purification typically requires only a fifth of the land and much less water to provide the same amount of sweetness as other mainstream sweeteners.
• Stevia is a high intensity sweetener – its sweet compounds are 200-350 times sweeter than sucrose (table sugar)
• Stevia is safe to consume for the whole family. Major global regulatory organizations have determined highly purified stevia extracts to be safe for consumption by the general population, which includes children and pregnant women.
You can try SVETIA® as a stevia extract option. You can find it in all HEB stores around Texas.
SVETIA® Calorie – Free Sweetener is made with cane sugar and stevia extract. One packet of SVETIA® contains only one gram of carbohydrates. People with diabetes are advised to check with their registered dietitian or physician.